Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - If Zeitgeist wants to bring down the money system, why don't they try this?

[ Add Tags ]

[ Return to The Zeitgeist Movement | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Jun 13, 2011 - 11:48
(0)

Paid Disinformation Blogger

Level: 14
CS Original

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beenz.com</p>

The marketing and brand concept positioned Beenz as ‘the web's currency,’ global money that would challenge the world’s major currencies.[citation needed] The Beenz management team raised almost $100 million from venture capitalists including Apax/Patrickof, Larry Ellison of Oracle, Francois Pinault of PPR, Vivendi Universal, Italian financier Carlo de Benedetti and Hikari Tsushin of Japan.
Since launching a new currency is illegal in many countries, beenz management and its legal teams had to meet with finance ministers across Europe to assure them that Beenz would be categorized as virtual points. Within days of its launch in the UK, Beenz offices in London were visited by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) on suspicion of operating an unlicensed bank (apparently the FSA misunderstood that the 'Bank of Beenz' on the website was, in fact, just a marketing name for the user account area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flooz.com</p>

Flooz.com was a dot-com venture, now defunct, based in New York City that went online in February 1999, promoted by comic actress Whoopi Goldberg in a series of television advertisements. Started by iVillage co-founder Robert Levitan, the company attempted to establish a currency unique to Internet merchants, somewhat similar in concept to airline frequent flier programs or grocery store stamp books. The name "flooz" was based upon the Arabic word for money, فلوس, fuloos. Users accumulated flooz credits either as a promotional bonus given away by some internet businesses or purchased directly from flooz.com which then could be redeemed for merchandise at a variety of participating online stores.

Oh, never mind...I know why they don't try it.

Cohen's stated long term aim was eventually to allow consumers to purchase beenz directly from the company and for the "beenz economy" to eventually resemble that of a real economy. However, at the time, this was fraught with difficulty as some countries (such as France) expressed a view that such alternative currency schemes were undesirable and that they would seek to prevent them from operating.

The company announced its closure on August 26, 2001, perceived as an early indicator of the growing dot-com bust. Upon the company's closing, all unused flooz credits became worthless and nonrefundable. Over its short history, flooz.com reportedly exhausted from $35 to $50 million in venture capital.[1]
Evidence indicates the company was at least partly brought down by fraud. In 2001, Flooz.com was notified by the Federal Bureau of Investigation that a Russian organized crime syndicate was using Flooz and stolen credit card numbers as part of a money-laundering scheme, in which stolen credit cards were used to purchase currency and then redeemed.

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Jun 13, 2011 - 11:54
(0)

Level: 6
CS Original

I never really understood TZM's obsession with currency.

You can find opposition towards money and state power in most neo-communist groups, but even they are rational enough to see Gesellian nonsense for what it is and not make a fucking movie about it.

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Jun 13, 2011 - 11:58
(0)

Paid Disinformation Blogger

Level: 14
CS Original

BEENZ IS NOT THE MOVEMENT!
FLOOZ IS NOT THE MOVEMENT!
GSELLIAN NONSENSE IS NOT THE MOVEMENT!

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jun 13, 2011 - 12:06
(0)

Bacon Pancakes! Making Bacon Pancakes, take some Bacon and I'll put it in a Pancake! Bacon Pancakes that's what it's gonna make...Bacon Pancaaaaaake!! ♪

Level: 3

BITCOINS ARE NOT THE MOVEMENT!
LINDEN DOLLARS ARE NOT THE MOVEMENT!
WoW GOLD IS NOT THE MOVEMENT!

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Jun 13, 2011 - 12:07
(0)

CS Original

Also bitcoins aren't the movement, as "Thunder" will be explaining to you in two hours. http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/94503

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jun 13, 2011 - 12:19
(0)

Bacon Pancakes! Making Bacon Pancakes, take some Bacon and I'll put it in a Pancake! Bacon Pancakes that's what it's gonna make...Bacon Pancaaaaaake!! ♪

BitCoins just dropped 66% of their value in one weekend.

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Jun 13, 2011 - 12:41
(0)

CS Original

AND I PREDICTICATED IT.

Actually, I just was lucky.

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jun 13, 2011 - 12:48
(0)

It's a currency backed by faith that others will take them, which is why it will fail.
It's also not anonymous, all transactions are posted on the BitCoin site to prevent counterfeiting. So anyone using it to launder money will get some knocky knockies on their door from the IRS. So really, aside from inflation, what's the point? And who cares if a monies no one uses gets inflated?

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jun 13, 2011 - 12:48
(0)

DOUBLE POST FAIL

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Jun 13, 2011 - 13:17
(0)

CS Original

It's pseudonymous, which should suffice in most circumstances. And it doesn't really require more faith than any other currency, it just needs to gain some popularity in a small circle of people.

That said, I'm not a fan, I just enjoy watching the market.

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]