Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - People still believe in this mystery planet stuff?

Tags: Nibiru, Hercolubus, WTF?, 2012, Planet X [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to General Conspiracy Stuff | Reply to Topic ]
PathfinderPosted: Aug 21, 2011 - 15:37
(0)

This apple is your CT. Princess Luna represents logic.

Level: 1
CS Original
http://planetx-hercolubus-nibiru.blogspot.com/

I guess it shocks me that the postings on that blog are quite recent, but it still amazes me that out of all the doomsday BS people believe that Nibiru, Hercolubus, Tycho, etc. seem to still hold sway. A fascination with a hidden planet/brown dwarf supposedly linked with past extinctions, NASA covering up the truth, etc.

Just shows that I'm still naive, I guess.
#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Aug 21, 2011 - 16:09
(0)

I shoot you dead.

Level: 9
CS Original
The site's a smorgasboard of crazy. I see a good number of the typical tropes from these people. The end times are always right around the corner. I have to admit, though, they're good at cloaking their crap in science jargon.
#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Aug 21, 2011 - 16:43
(0)

Paid Disinformation Blogger

Level: 14
CS Original
I remember the Nibiru shit from the 90s. I guess it never really goes away.

I'm waiting for the whole "photon belt" thing from 1996 to make a comeback. I'm surprised the 2012 doomers haven't tired to revive that one.
#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Aug 21, 2011 - 16:53
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original
Actually, they have. The New Age Spiritual Transformation 2012ers in particular love the photon belt, they think it'll trigger the transformation.

http://www.salemctr.com/photon/center5b.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon_belt
http://www.2012hoax.org/new-age-ascension <--skeptic's take
http://www.google.com/search?q=2012+photon+belt&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a <--google search result for the search terms '2012 photon belt'
#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
PathfinderPosted: Aug 21, 2011 - 17:28
(1)

CS Original
^^^What the...Christ energy? Merge with the godhead? This makes "Attack of the Mutant Penguins" for the Atari Jaguar seem like "Shadow of the Colossus." Holy Creeps...
#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Aug 21, 2011 - 18:31
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

Level: 6
CS Original
Photons, how do they work?

These theories about space bodies and cosmic energy really reflect the damage that can be done when pop science and conspiratorial thinking merge. As quantum physics becomes even more main stream, im sure we'll see a surge in "interdimensional" aliens crap and doomsday prophesy on the collapse of dimensions.
#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Aug 21, 2011 - 21:46
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original
I always found the Planet X stuff to be pretty good sci-fi.
#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Aug 21, 2011 - 21:51
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original
^That's about all it's good for.
#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Aug 21, 2011 - 23:20
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original
I like the whole "Nibiru is going to crash into planet earth" theory. What is it that these people think telescopes do exactly?

The theory reminds me of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLlUgilKqms
#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Aug 22, 2011 - 15:59
(0)

Level: 5
CS Original
Quote from Kaiser Falkner

These theories about space bodies and cosmic energy really reflect the damage that can be done when pop science and conspiratorial thinking merge. As quantum physics becomes even more main stream, im sure we'll see a surge in "interdimensional" aliens crap and doomsday prophesy on the collapse of dimensions.

Is this really the fault of popular science?
#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Aug 22, 2011 - 16:35
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original
Yes, pop science has continued to be presented as though it accurately reflects the complexity of any given phenomenon. Rather than presenting a clear and overt disclaimer about the quality of its information it pushes on to sensationalize some incomplete body of knowledge. In this case we can look back to the late 90s when magazines like popular science covered this crackpot theories as though they enjoyed even a slice of credibility. Couple that with the unrelenting march of cable networks espousing such bufoonary and its no wonder people take these theories and run wild. I have very little respect for pop sci as it stands because it instills false understanding without accepting its faults. I'm not saying pop science specifically engendered this garbled website, but this nibiru crap really took off because of pop science.
#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Aug 22, 2011 - 16:52
(1)

CS Original
Oh I agree with that, Michio Kaku quickly comes to mind.

I guess I might be confused by what you mean by pop science. I agree with most of what you wrote, but I consider myself an avid reader of pop science. I also enjoy watching PBS and BBC science/nature documentaries.

As skeptics don't we want the general public to accept and understand science?
#12 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Aug 22, 2011 - 18:24
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original
Pop science doesn't instill an inherent understanding of science, it distributes facts and only parts of the story. Its much like how I understand calculus. I know the formulas and how to use it, but I am far from understanding the intricacies of calculus as a whole. Pop science wont replace a legitimate and rigorous education of science, nor does it reflect the kinds of caution necessary for understanding what science can and cant do.
#13 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Aug 22, 2011 - 18:29
(0)

CS Original
So basically if I want to learn about the planets, unless I get a degree in astronomy I should just forget it?
#14 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Aug 22, 2011 - 18:34
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original
No, if you want to learn about planets you have to immediately reconcile that you are limited by what you are given because you arent able to access the real disciplinary practices necessary to move beyond fact memorization. You also shouldn't rely on TV shows to give you the best information. Its not fun, but reading real scientific journals is the best way to get the most complete information. Don't get me wrong, I love watching Science channel and National Geographic- but I don't pretend that it makes me an expert in anything, nor that I should be able to create new understandings from that information.
#15 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
PathfinderPosted: Aug 22, 2011 - 19:55
(0)

CS Original
I'll admit, I was interested enough to look at the base origins of these myths and find our what they are about. Really, the idea of another solar system that orbits a brown dwarf star really had my imagination going, and in the good way to.

But then I remember the ultimate goal of these ideas and I get depressed again. *Sigh.*
#16 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]