Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Zeitard doesn't think people have free will

[ Add Tags ]

[ Return to The Zeitgeist Movement | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Feb 08, 2012 - 22:50
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original
http://blog.thezeitgeistmovement.com/blog/dale/free-will-concept-deconstructed

Truly a religion for those who want no responsibility whatsoever.
#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Feb 09, 2012 - 00:42
(0)

I can't stop posting pictures of poop, what the fuck is wrong with me?

Level: 5
CS Original
wow, what a mind blowing 4 paragraph blog. Now all of a sudden I believe that I don't have free will anymore. What will I do?
#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Feb 09, 2012 - 04:58
(0)

Level: 6
CS Original
I don't find that blogpost disagreeable. I also don't see how the concept of free will is useful in any practical way, though.
#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Feb 09, 2012 - 18:30
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original
Free will is always a tricky issue, falling principally to a question of philosophy before even arriving at the issue of theology. We certainly see different variations of free will, from a Kantian notion resting on duty and rationality, to an Abrahamic notion in which we are free to surrender power and subjugate oneself completely to an outside authority. However, it is important to note that the abdication of free will is not an abdication of responsibility. Even under the pragmatist project of William James, free will is constituted by a constrained actors choice among many possible outcomes and thus have a responsibility for the choice we take even if the available outcomes were predetermined for us. Similarly, if there is no free will, those who hold us responsible for our actions are similarly without a free will- they are merely executors of destiny. Saying we don't have free will is not a free pass because everyone is equally under the same moral and social system.
#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Feb 09, 2012 - 19:46
(0)

Bacon Pancakes! Making Bacon Pancakes, take some Bacon and I'll put it in a Pancake! Bacon Pancakes that's what it's gonna make...Bacon Pancaaaaaake!! ♪

Level: 3
Determanism = Useless philosophy.

YOU HAVE NO FREE WILL

EVERYTHING IS PREDETERMINED

I WILL SPEND TIME DEFYING MY BELIEF TO CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT IT
#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Feb 10, 2012 - 02:27
(0)

CS Original
They're both equally useless.

Also, Sam Harris' book on free will comes out next month. Probably going to pass on it, though.
#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Feb 10, 2012 - 13:27
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original
Quote from CyborgJesus

They're both equally useless.

Also, Sam Harris' book on free will comes out next month. Probably going to pass on it, though.

Ok, that's it. No more free will for you.
#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Feb 10, 2012 - 15:37
(0)

I can't stop posting pictures of poop, what the fuck is wrong with me?

Level: 5
CS Original
My review of the blog is that I'm indifferent about it. It's a blog so he can write whatever he wants in it. I will say that 4 paragraphs isn't going to cover much on "free will" unless you have the writing style of Muertos (who in my opinion is one the the best writers I've had the pleasure of reading from) and understand/know how to use medical terminology in simplistic terms for the wider audience.

Neutral Response
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ
#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Feb 10, 2012 - 17:02
(1)

Bacon Pancakes! Making Bacon Pancakes, take some Bacon and I'll put it in a Pancake! Bacon Pancakes that's what it's gonna make...Bacon Pancaaaaaake!! ♪

Level: 3
I've seen the debates and it's pretty stupid. If you reject determinism, nothing changes. If you accept it, nothing changes. Which makes it a useless waste of time thinking about.
#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]