Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Is TZM a cult? Let's see.

Tags: Cults vs human ingenuity, Skateboarders wear your helmet, Fucked topics, Derailed topics [ Add Tags ]

This forum thread is currently locked, no new replies or edits can be made.

[ Return to The Zeitgeist Movement | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 09:19
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

We will use the criteria from this site: http://www.caic.org.au/general/cultcrit.htm</p>

The cult is authoritarian in its power structure.

The leader is regarded as the supreme authority. He or she may delegate certain power to a few subordinates for the purpose of seeing that members adhere to the leader's wishes and roles. There is no appeal outside of his or her system to greater systems of justice. For example, if a school teacher feels unjustly treated by a principal, appeals can be made. In a cult, the leader claims to have the only and final ruling on all matters.

The cult's leaders tend to be charismatic, determined, and domineering.

They persuade followers to drop their families, jobs, careers, and friends to follow them. They (not the individual) then take over control of their followers' possessions, money, lives. The cult's leaders are self-appointed, messianic persons who claim to have a special mission in life. For example, the flying saucer cult leaders claim that people from outer space have commissioned them to lead people to special places to await a space ship.

Point number one is a pretty solid "yes." Point number two is a pretty solid "yes." Point number three I would have to say "no." I've never found any of the TZM leadership to be particularly charismatic nor determined. If anything, they lazily half ass everything. Domineering? Perhaps some of the more established leaders like VTV and Thunder, but I don't think this extends to every member of the administration team.

The cult's leaders center the veneration of members upon themselves.

Priests, rabbis, ministers, democratic leaders, and leaders of genuinely altruistic movements keep the veneration of adherents focused on God, abstract principles, and group purposes. Cult leaders, in contrast, keep the focus of love, devotion, and allegiance on themselves.

I'd have to say "no" to this one as well. I think in a way Merola enjoys the hero-worship he receives from TZM, but I wouldn't say he keeps the focus of love, devotion and allegiance on himself.

The cult tends to be totalitarian in its control of the behavior of its members.

Cults are likely to dictate in great detail what members wear, eat, when and where they work, sleep, and bathe-as well as what to believe, think, and say. The cult tends to have a double set of ethics. Members are urged to be open and honest within the group, and confess all to the leaders. On the other hand, they are encouraged to deceive and manipulate outsiders or nonmembers. Established religions teach members to be honest and truthful to all, and to abide by one set of ethics.

This is a pretty solid "no." TZM is such a clusterfuck that outside of the forums no real control exists. While I would agree that TZM has a double set of ethics: preaching love and peace unless you disagree with them, TZM simply does not meet the other requirements.

The cult has basically only two purposes, recruiting new members and fund-raising.

Established religions and altruistic movements may also recruit and raise funds. However, their sole purpose is not to grow larger; such groups have the goals to better the lives of their members and mankind in general. The cults may claim to make social contributions, but in actuality these remain mere claims, or gestures. Their focus is always dominated by recruiting new members and fund-raising.

I would say "yes" to the first and "no" to the second. While I do think TVP meets this criteria, I don't really think TZM does. Merola does not repeatedly ask for money from TZM members and aside from adding a donations link to his site I've never seen him ask members for money.

The cult appears to be innovative and exclusive.

The leader claims to be breaking with tradition, offering something novel, and instituting the only viable system for change that will solve life's problems or the world's ills. While claiming this, the cult then surreptitiously uses systems of psychological coercion on its members to inhibit their ability to examine the actual validity of the claims of the leader and the cult.

Yes to the first, no to the second. I do not consider TZM to be very exclusive at all. Pretty much anyone can register an account on their forums and call themselves a member. Actually, someone who watches one movie while taking bongrips in his mom's basement can call themselves a member.

The third set of criteria has to do with defining other common elements of coercive psychological systems. If most of Robert Jay Lifton's eight point model of thought reform is being used in a cultic organization, it is most likely a dangerous and destructive cult. These eight points are:

1. ENVIRONMENT CONTROL. Limitation of many/all forms of communication with those outside the group. Books, magazines, letters and visits with friends and family are taboo. "Come out and be separate!"

This is a solid "no."

2. MYSTICAL MANIPULATION. The potential convert to the group becomes convinced of the higher purpose and special calling of the group through a profound encounter/experience, for example, through an alleged miracle or prophetic word of those in the group.

Solid "no."

3. DEMAND FOR PURITY. An explicit goal of the group is to bring about some kind of change, whether it be on a global, social, or personal level. "Perfection is possible if one stays with the group and is committed."

Solid "yes."

4. CULT OF CONFESSION. The unhealthy practice of self disclosure to members in the group. Often in the context of a public gathering in the group, admitting past sins and imperfections, even doubts about the group and critical thoughts about the integrity of the leaders.

Solid "no."

5. SACRED SCIENCE. The group's perspective is absolutely true and completely adequate to explain EVERYTHING. The doctrine is not subject to amendments or question. ABSOLUTE conformity to the doctrine is required.

Solid "yes."

6. LOADED LANGUAGE. A new vocabulary emerges within the context of the group. Group members "think" within the very abstract and narrow parameters of the group's doctrine. The terminology sufficiently stops members from thinking critically by reinforcing a "black and white" mentality. Loaded terms and clich_s prejudice thinking.

Solid "yes."

7. DOCTRINE OVER PERSON. Pre-group experience and group experience are narrowly and decisively interpreted through the absolute doctrine, even when experience contradicts the doctrine.

Solid "no."

8. DISPENSING OF EXISTENCE. Salvation is possible only in the group. Those who leave the group are doomed.

Solid "no." TZM has always had a revolving door problem, and I have never seen ex-members treated as if they're doomed for leaving.

-----

So is TZM a cult? I would say no, it is not. Its certainly an ideology/religion with some cult-like qualities, but I don't think it would be accurate to call it a cult.

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 09:28
(0)

Brainwashing you for money

Level: 15
CS Original

This is pretty much the list I went through towards the end of my membership with them, I came to the conclusion that they were becoming cult like, and that I needed to leave and keep an eye on them.

In essence I was noticing cult chracteristics in their members and was in the belief I may be watching a cult emerge.

I would not call them a fully blown negative cult, but I would also come to the same conclusion...TZM/TVP exhibit some cult characteristics and I would add this may yet prove to be a negative cult at some point in the future if they are not careful.

But again there are different kinds of cults, if we're talking about a negative/dangerous cult TZM are not completely there. But you do not need to exhibit all the points to be a cult, you only need to exhibit a majority of them.

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 09:29
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

Level: 6
CS Original

I agree with this evaluation pretty hardily. Its not a cult, but maybe only because its so useless it cannot even achieve that dubious distinction. TZM is more like a petridish to grown conspiratorial, paranoid world views that perpetuates itself by engendering more misinformed fear and deferring any legitimate test of its ideologies. The movement is predicated upon lies and a fundamentally deficient world view and it does not actually move forward in any meaningful way. Maybe thats because actually testing their utopian fantasy would really prove their error and fallacy. TZM is no cult, its not even a movement.

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 09:50
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

But you do not need to exhibit all the points to be a cult, you only need to exhibit a majority of them.

I don't think TZM exhibits a majority of them, only some of them. They exhibit less-cult like qualities than they exhibit cult-like qualities.

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 09:56
(0)

CS Original

Yeah I know me too I dont believe they are a destructive/negative cult. But they do exhibit enough markers to be close to other less dangerous cults, like cults of personality, cults of politics etc..

What Types of Cults Are There?

Cults come in different forms, and have different areas of interest. They promise to answer a variety of questions, and solve life’s problems.

Bible based
Eastern Meditation
Therapy/self-awareness
Political
Commercial/corporate
New Age
Satanic
One-on-One (one leader, and one or two followers)
Scientific
Philosophical

Also this one :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_personality

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 12:44
(0)

Paid Disinformation Blogger

Level: 14
CS Original

There is a legitimate difference of opinion on this issue, but I believe Zeitgeist is a cult.

I use the Operation Clambake definition of a cult (http://www.xenu.net/cb-faq.html#faq18). It has five characteristics:

1. It uses psychological coercion to recruit, indoctrinate and retain its members.
2. It forms an elitist totalitarian society.
3. Its founder/leader is self-appointed, dogmatic, messianic, not accountable and has charisma.
4. It believes 'the end justifies the means' in order to solicit funds and recruit people.
5. Its wealth does not benefit its members or society.

Point one, use of psychological coercion.

I think this is a solid "YES" because TZM uses conspiracy theories as a recruiting tool, then turns around and claims they're not about conspiracy theories. The "crank magnetism" feature of TZM which we so often criticize--attraction of anti-vaxxers, alt-health quackers, conspiracy theorists, theosophists, New Agers, etc.--is precisely the reason why most people join up. It is deceptive to attract a bunch of nuts, then claim you're working for a better society that has nothing to do with the nuttery that got most people in the door in the first place.

Point two, elitist totalitarian society.

Again, solid "YES." Obviously we're not talking about a physical TZM commune somewhere, like Desteni's creepy South African ranch. In this case the society exists entirely on the Internet. But one look at their forums, the Facebook pages of TZM members, their YouTube channels and Twitter feeds, etc., and you see an alarming sameness that can only be a result of enforced conformity. The rigidity with which they rule their forums--the primary means of expression within the group--is well-known. Because TZM is an Internet cult, the "society" we're looking at must be judged in that context.

3. Self-appointed, dogmatic, charismatic leader, etc.

"YES" without question. It doesn't matter whether Peter Merola seems charismatic to us, but his charisma and personality is the glue that binds the entire ZM together. He's obviously dogmatic, holds his position in the cult by self-appointment as opposed to the collective decision of followers, and demands compliance with his views and adherence to his orthodoxy. This one is easy.

4. "End justifies the means."

Absolutely "YES." The simple fact that TZM continues to promote demonstrably false conspiracy theories, even after they've been debunked, proves this. This attitude also manifests itself in other ways--such as Doug Mallette's "annihilate them" comments and various other similar statements by cult members suggesting that those who disagree with TZM ideology should be killed, will be sorry, etc.

5. Wealth does not benefit members or society.

No question, "YES." Although TZM does not fundraise aggressively, nearly every penny spent on DVDs, T-shirts and such benefits Merola personally. Even before TVP split, when they were talking about raising money, what were they going to do with it? Make a propaganda movie. That counts as self-benefit because it's merely promotion of the cult and certainly would not benefit the rank and file members or society at large.

Formerly I did not believe TZM was a cult. I also think they haven't always been a cult, but in the last 7 or 8 months they stepped over the line, particularly on points two and five.

I feel completely justified in calling this group a cult. While I realize others disagree, I think my view is supportable.

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 12:50
(0)

I can't stop posting pictures of poop, what the fuck is wrong with me?

Level: 5
CS Original

I had originally thought TZM was not a cult that the claims that it was cannot be determined because it was internet based. However when talking with Falkner in irc (and Muertos blogs) I came to the conclusion that cults on the internet can be just as effective in brainwashing individuals as physically based cults.

A person within TZM could self brainwash themselves by watching Peter's movies over and over again every single day (and I know people who have). These members have easy 24/7 access to materials Peter has made to idolize him; which if this was fifteen years ago things like video and audio records were not as easily accessible as they are now. You've got Peter who claims he's not the leader of TZM yet he still dictates what goes on, still gets his movies translated into different languages by the TZM linguistic team, still has people promote his movies within TZM, and when he attempted to step down from TZM a day later he decided to continue to stay in because he believed he was still needed.

I do think TZM is a internet based cult, however I originally did not. I disagree with some aspects of Matt's evaluation but other parts I agree in. I would of had more of those criteria points tacked yes than no.

After considering TZM as being a possible internet cult I started to do my own research checking through academic journals and using google of course. I realized that their was almost ZERO credible academic research on internet cults. Their are studies that indirectly talk about cults and their use of the internet but zero academic studies to my knowledge on purely based internet cults (could be one I just can't find it).

Trying to evaluate internet cults without any academic research backing up the claims is going to be hard. These "is it a cult or not a cult" academic criteria theory check points are based mainly on cults that physically meet in the flesh and blood and not in the virtual environment. Rick Ross for instance who is a expert in his field in my opinion does not have enough experience do to the lack of academic research given to say if a cult can form on the internet or not (same goes with me as well).

When I say TZM is a cult it's purely based more on opinion and to a lesser extent on academic criteria evaluation (that is based on academic research). Their simply isn't enough academic research to say that internet cults are even possible. So things I would define as internet cults like TZM and Desteni are purely opinion that is based somewhat on academic research on cults. Their just needs to be more academic studies on this at which the studies could conclude that internet cults are not possible or that they are very possible.

I think the more we look into what one believes to be a internet cult the more we will learn and the more credible and or ludicrous the idea that cults can form on the internet. Then eventually these observation can be studied and possibly turned into academic works to gain some academic credibility into this area.

Falkner: I agree with this evaluation pretty hardily. Its not a cult, but maybe only because its so useless it cannot even achieve that dubious distinction.

Although I think TZM is a cult I do think it's pretty useless. I'd be more concerned about Desteni only because their goals seem to be more attainable.

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 12:51
(0)

There ARE more sluts in public schools. Shut up and let me explain.

Level: 8
CS Original

I think I shall betray Matt and agree with Muertos.

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 12:55
(0)

CS Original

Purely Internet-based cults are such a brand new phenomenon that I doubt there would be much scholarly research on it yet.

Only in the last two years or so has online presence and social networking evolved to a stage where such a thing as an Internet-based cult is even possible.

Desteni is certainly the paradigm. I'm not aware of anyone who is not a Desteni member who doesn't think Desteni is a cult, and although they do have the ranch in South Africa the vast majority of their presence is Internet-based. So I think the definitions of cults (which are very hard to pin down in any event, as this debate evidences) are going to have to change a little in order to accommodate this new form of cult behavior.

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 12:55
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

OUR LOVE IS OVER

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 13:31
(0)

CS Original

@Muertos I think their needs to be different criteria set for internet based cults. Internet based cults can become really sophisticated and still carry how it's brainwashing objectives.

Purely Internet-based cults are such a brand new phenomenon that I doubt there would be much scholarly research on it yet.

Only in the last two years or so has online presence and social networking evolved to a stage where such a thing as an Internet-based cult is even possible.

I would agree with that. I think the main things that allowed internet cults to grow are internet audio and video streams. If you check the TZM website for instance or talk to your typical TZMer they always point to videos and audios people can listen to which to me suggest the majority of their information comes from video and audio's and not text formats. I rarely come across a CTer who actually points me to books unless of course it's a audio book.

About seven years ago for your average person to host a internet radio stream was consider a new, popular, and revolutionary idea. Back a few years ago not everybody had the know how or the sophistication to host their own internet stream but now you have websites that host the stream for a person and all the sophistication a person needs is the ability to to signup to a website and the website itself will handle the rest of it. As far as video streaming goes it's going through some major changes presently.

I suppose if we were all on dial-up still the internet environment would drastically change. Maybe for the better?

#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 13:31
(0)

CS Original

I am with Muertos and Bill mainly in this topic, I lean more towards them becoming or exhibiting cult traits and it is for this reason alone I actually left them in the first place.

Myself and a female member started this whole TZM is a cult thing years ago when we started questioning them and putting the notion across on their own forum, then we decided to bring it to light on the blog we started.

It was the idea that TZM could be a cult that scared the life out of me, granted somewhat internet based, though they do have their physical meetings in real life too, chapter meetings, tzm movie and fan days, TVP worship journeys, and now TZM festivals etc...

#12 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 13:48
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

I will agree on this point but will add one strong caution. I believe we, as a society, have a tendency to try and manipulate new phenomenon through old words. I do believe that the internet offers a unique possibility for cults, by the stricktest definition, to persist and even expand in new ways. I believe this is the case with Desteni. However, TZM, as Matt shows, does not meet the criteria of a cult outside of the internet and thus I have very strong reservations about calling TZM a cult. That suggests it has more central organization than it really does. Now, there are strong authoritarian forces in TZM, which I have commented on as being both explicit and implicit, but they are not extending into authority over the user him or herself. Put another way, imagine that you really were two people- you as a biological person and you as an internet person. Desteni, and other cults, can exercise direct power over both aspects of your life. TZM has a hard enough time exercising that power over internet personas. So Billl's insistence on careful classification of Internet cults is spot on, in my opinion. Because TZM lacks authority over the person, proper, I cannot in good faith call it a cult. Now maybe they are an Internet Cult with some strong stipulations, but even that, I think, is really contestable.

#13 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 13:53
(0)

CS Original

1. It uses psychological coercion to recruit, indoctrinate and retain its members.

No. Yeah, you're banned if you disagree, but I don't consider that to be psychological coercion. I find the mods disagreeable, but they usually don't threaten or reward people on a cult-like level of severity.

2. It forms an elitist totalitarian society.

Somewhat, yes. My reluctance comes from the point that they're not very good at it, but there's certainly a move towards loyalty and obedience and away from skepticism and ideological freedom.

3. Its founder/leader is self-appointed, dogmatic, messianic, not accountable and has charisma.

Yes.

4. It believes 'the end justifies the means' in order to solicit funds and recruit people.

Yes, but I'm not strictly opposed to that, as long as the ends are objectively desirable.

5. Its wealth does not benefit its members or society.

N/A for TZM, yes for TVP.

In conclusion, I don't think TZM classifies as a real cult, but I don't think that should be the question anyway. Their supposed goal is to change the social and political modus operandi of the modern world, so their management, both on strategic and operative levels, should be designed to accommodate this fact. It ain't.

In a real movement for social change, the first step would be to outline the problem in scientific terms, not to present one with a rather cryptic and unrefined solution; so you probably wouldn't want to narrow down on one instrument in particular, e.g., TVP's systems theory, but try to act as an open toolbox for all kinds of instruments, embrace open discussions, invite experts, and so on.

Once your organization - or fractions of it - progressed in their research far enough to present one particular model, theory or action plan as their primary, most promising strategy, you would welcome criticism, both internal and external, as opportunities to increase your understanding of the topic.

TZM has always refused to do so, not only for ideological reasons, but mainly out of incompetence and lack of proper leadership. Whether you call it a cult or not, it doesn't display the characteristics of an efficient movement or NGO, so it's either dishonesty or inaptitude - which one of the two doesn't seem that relevant to me.

#14 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 13:55
(0)

CS Original

Kaiser, I can understand your position, but I think eventually we get into a zone of hair-splitting. Is there a difference in degree between a purely Internet-based cult and one that exists in the physical world? Sure, there probably is, but the degree depends upon the characteristics of the group in question. Every one is going to be different.

As I said, there is a lot of room for legitimate disagreement on this point. All the points made by you, Matt etc. are well taken.

#15 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 13:59
(0)

Bacon Pancakes! Making Bacon Pancakes, take some Bacon and I'll put it in a Pancake! Bacon Pancakes that's what it's gonna make...Bacon Pancaaaaaake!! ♪

Level: 3

Andreas Heldal-Lund (owner of Operation Clambake), while he's a great guy is not a cult expert, he's a computer geek. He started Operation Clambake as a result of seeing Scientology suppress information on the net so he started the website to not only preserve the information, but to organize it as well. His OPINION (note he says that it's an opinion in that FAQ) about what a cult is is completely irrelevant. The line of demarcation for cults' is Lifton's 8 and/or Hassan's BITE. These are used because these guys actually studied thought reform and cults, not just cataloged information for just one cult. Desteni does fit the BITE and Lifton criteria to a T, TZM does not.

The Zeitgeist Movement is as much of a cult as Trekkies or Bronies. Sorry Muertos, you're way off the mark here.

#16 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:02
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

I am uncertain if it really is a question of hair splitting because i think the test of a cult is in its outcomes. The outcome of any cult has to manifest itself in the behavior of adherents and followers, something that is very limited in followers of TZM. Rather, we have Zeitgeisters who do not centralize and follow a central plan, but instead promote conspiracy theories and a utopian model without hard, physical steps in trying to attain it. Now, this is not to say every cult needs its "drink the kool-aid" moment, only that it needs to really exist in action and deed and follow the guidelines above. What TZM is good at doing is creating zealots online who effectively lock out logic and reason, and instead devolve into conspiratorial, paranoid, and delusions of grandeur. Are Alex Jones' listeners in a cult? Would you say the tendency to call them a cult lies in the zealous defense of their erroneous world view rather than their brainwashed obedience to PJ? It seems that they serve a nebulous idea, not a central character.

#17 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:10
(0)

CS Original

The point is that TZM/TVP members and hardcore zealots do exhibit cult like tendencies, their membership does hit some of Liftons points, so whether you can define it strictly as a cult is not the point. The point is they exhibit traits that lead one to suspect it is becoming cult like in its membership.

Sorry Jim you are way off the mark also, its not a case of black and white when it comes to this subject really. Liftons points are the most academic and you are right those ones should be used as characteristics to observe and compare with.

But we are not talking about a strictly physical cult like Lifton studied etc...we are talking about a new kind of cult that may be emerging, where the area is a little more grey.

#18 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:20
(0)

Bacon Pancakes! Making Bacon Pancakes, take some Bacon and I'll put it in a Pancake! Bacon Pancakes that's what it's gonna make...Bacon Pancaaaaaake!! ♪

Doesn't matter, Anti. Desteni is *mostly* internet based and they are a cult, fit Lifton's 8, and those experts in the field who have looked into it has agreed it's a cult. You can still use thought reform methods remotely, it's nothing new.

#19 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:22
(0)

CS Original

Also I would like to add here as an important seperate point:::

Belief in Conspiracy Theories can have a severe detrimental and negative impact on a persons life, often for a long time, some times even permanent. So to brush these CT cult like belief systems aside, treating them as if they are irrelevant and not worthy of the serious study in the mindset of how cults are treat could be a mistake made by those of us unwilling to do so.

I personally feel that CT cults, internet cults could become some of the most dogmatic and violent ones there are, look at how anonymous acts online. Combine this anonymity with an insane ideology and willingness to do harm, then combine it with a willingness to act upon it in the real world ala Jared Lee loughner and you have a potential for serious problems.

#20 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:25
(0)

What came first the paranoia or conspiracy theory?

#21 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:28
(0)

CS Original

Not really sure theres an answer for that one, because they seem to co exist. Its possible these people are unwell, but to state they were unwell prior to their beliefs, or their beliefs making them unwell is something only an expert could decide on an individual basis.

But its a certainty that they are co existant and are both responsible for making peoples mental health devolve.

#22 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:30
(0)

CS Original

@Kaiser Falkner That is interesting that you would differentiate between the internet persona and the in the flesh persona. I suppose to elaborate as to what I mean when I say a internet cult versus your meet and greet cults is that a internet cult origins and startups are online, and their main communication and networking is online with some meet and greet scenarios. Your meet and greet cults may have compounds or a environment where your around them or their material most the the week.

imagine that you really were two people- you as a biological person and you as an internet person. Desteni, and other cults, can exercise direct power over both aspects of your life. TZM has a hard enough time exercising that power over internet personas.

If I were talking about ones biological self and internet self I'd agree that Desteni has more influence to their members biological self versus TZM. However I think if one were to live by a TZM ideology or adopt it to their biological self I think it is more harmful to a individual versus Desenti. I think if a person adopts even a little of TZM ideology as to make an attempt to live by it be it a RBE or no money I think it can have very harmful mental as well as physical long term affects on a person versus the Desteni ideology. Therefore I think most TZmers don't live by their ideology just preach it however Desteni members can live by most of their ideology (which in return makes their ideology even more real and attainable to them) and from the looks of it their goals are relatively attainable which makes them more of a threat versus TZM.

However just because one groups goals/ideology are more attainable than another doesn't make them not a cult. However until more academic research is put forth on the possibility of internet cults labeling such any groups for instance Desteni and TZM internet cults on a academic level is hard to do because not enough academic research is out there. So it's based more on opinion than academics research for the time being in my opinion of course.

#23 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:38
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

Sorry dudes, but I haven't seen anyone make a case in this thread as to why TZM is a cult. I'm just not seeing it.

#24 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:40
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

However I think if one were to live by a TZM ideology or adopt it to their biological self I think it is more harmful to a individual versus Desenti.

But this is precisely my sticking point. My third year research project was on the ontologies of Internet/Biological life. Now, there was a huge body of literature I couldn't deal with in 10 weeks, but I did feel like I got a better grasp on the possibility of such meaningful divisions. The point here is that you have to rest on an "if then" scenario with TZM. But TZM's control is so limited to internet personas that they are incapable of making that breach over to totalitarian control over the biological individual. People who adopt "TZM" in real life do so individually and through their own interpretations, not under direct control of the leaders. But online, there is a definite deferment to the group "experts" like PJ and an explicit and implicit authoritarian control over their cyberspace. Because TZM has not exhibited this leap from internet personas to biological personas I find fault with them being a cult outright.

#25 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:40
(0)

CS Original

@Matt Thats because its not possible to strictly define TZM as a cult. You can only state that members of TZM exhibit cult like tendencies, and that TZM hits some of Liftons cult markers. You can not categorically call it a cult as it stands.

#26 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:43
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

@anticultist But I think its not that they have cult like tendencies so much as that many members exhibit personality traits that make people attracted to cults in the first place.

People with anxiety disorders are more likely to believe in Conspiracies and feel threatened by them, but not all people do (myself included)

#27 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:46
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

Well then for the sake of accuracy you can't call TZM a cult, because it ain't.

#28 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:46
(0)

Fine, then Bronies and Trekkies are a cult.

#29 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 15, 2011 - 14:46
(0)

CS Original

@Kaiser Yeah i think thats what Jims point above [his which came first one] was implying, but its a tricky one to state outright, because certain facets may draw a person into the spiders web where they are exposed to other more devious information.

In TZM's case I feel this is certainly the case as they try to involve scientific minds and intelligence regarding green technology and the like in their group and new movies and then have all the CT stuff bandaged onto it and as its core.

It could be argued that TZM forums/members and its movies could just as likely become the reason some people switch their belief systems after prolonged exposure.

@Matt i would agree with that, but I would not agree you can not call some of their members cult members...Hopefully you can see the difference there.

#30 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]