Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Alternative medicine on dental health

Tags: to do, quackery, alternative medicine, health woo, germ theory denial [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to General Conspiracy Stuff | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 02, 2011 - 22:33
(0)

I shoot you dead.

Level: 9
CS Original

I'm dealing with a big dental problem right now, and I've been researching on the 'net for some things I can do at home to make the pain more bearable until I can see a dentist. There's plenty of shit out there...like this!

http://www.curetoothdecay.com/index.html</p>

Site highlights include:
-Anti fluoridation, claiming that fluoride causes cavities and is more toxic than lead and arsenic
-Dentists care more about profits than patients and are treacherous
-Anti biotics work by poisoning the body and blocking the body's natural cleansing system (lolwut?)
-If you have signs of a dental problem (like severe toothache) do NOT go to a dentist - even though he claims he would never discourage it
-Butter helps control inflammation
-tooth infections/abscess are caused only by foreign substances like food getting where they shouldn't. Bacteria are not part of the infection equation at all.
-Flirtation with raw foodism (he hints that's what his special diet is, never says what it actually is, you have to buy the damn book) and advocacy of raw milk, full of that all natural e. coli!
-Also advocacy of consuming raw meat
-His book will turn you into your own dental expert

And much more health woo!

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 01:37
(0)

I can't stop posting pictures of poop, what the fuck is wrong with me?

Level: 5
CS Original

I'm dealing with a big dental problem right now, and I've been researching on the 'net for some things I can do at home to make the pain more bearable until I can see a dentist. There's plenty of shit out there...like this!

Do you really have a dental problem? Is so what is the problem?

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 02:48
(0)

There ARE more sluts in public schools. Shut up and let me explain.

Level: 8
CS Original

Anti fluoridation, claiming that fluoride causes cavities and is more toxic than lead and arsenic

This one is easy. If it were true, places with heavy amounts of fluoride would have more tooth decay, but the exact opposite is true. The funniest thing about anti-fluoridation people is they always seem to forget fluoride occurs naturally in ground water.

In areas with extremely high fluoridated ground water people get fluorosis, otherwise known as "Texas Teeth" and they have extremely low amounts of tooth decay.

Dentists care more about profits than patients and are treacherous

This is just a blanket anti-capitalist statement and doesn't actually prove anything. Even if dentists all only care about money, it doesn't disprove dentistry. If you asked them if organic farming was about money, does that mean organic farming is meaningless? They'd say no. Funnily, it is!

Anti biotics work by poisoning the body and blocking the body's natural cleansing system (lolwut?)

Stupid penicillin's never done anything for no damn body!

If you have signs of a dental problem (like severe toothache) do NOT go to a dentist - even though he claims he would never discourage it

Pain is so much better. In sort: don't ask an expert, ask jackasses on the internet.

Butter helps control inflammation

Should've went to the evil dentist on the above.

tooth infections/abscess are caused only by foreign substances like food getting where they shouldn't. Bacteria are not part of the infection equation at all.

Even if this were true, again it doesn't disprove dentistry, though it's absolutely wrong. I imagine this person is probably one of those "bacteria are good" folks, even though bubonic plague was caused by a bacterium.

Flirtation with raw foodism (he hints that's what his special diet is, never says what it actually is, you have to buy the damn book) and advocacy of raw milk, full of that all natural e. coli!

What about all those children that died before milk pasteurization was the norm?

Also advocacy of consuming raw meat

What's laughable with raw foodists is they have to eat every 2 hours or so, otherwise their bodies go into shock. That's not normal.

His book will turn you into your own dental expert

Having a toilet doesn't turn you into a shit expert.

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 08:34
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

@2012 CT

A couple nights ago I woke up at who knows what hour with a really bad toothache. I could isolate which tooth and everything. Since then, the pain's generally only gotten worse and is causing swelling under my eye, discomfort in my ear and other symptoms around my face. I don't see a dentist until Wednesday. It got so bad I went to an ER yesterday (no other choice, the community clinic couldn't help me), as over-the-counter meds weren't helping much and I wasn't going to bear that pain until Wednesday. The ER doc was actually glad to see me, though, as I probably have an infection or abscess, and I least got some prescription meds to control the pain more effectively until my dentist appointment.

@ Rox

Take some time to check out the whole site. It's such a pseudoscientific mess of bullshit that's it's hilarious. Also, he advocates organics of course and hints that modern agriculture causes dental problems.

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 08:59
(0)

Hybrid

Level: 2

Wolf Bird - I usually do this with fresh herbs and it's a bit difficult to translate into dried as I don't use common measurements. If you have rosemary and sage do this: Take a quart size glass jar or pitcher and fill it with water. Add about 2 tablespoons full of dried rosemary and 3 tablespoons full of dried sage. Cover it and let it sit on the counter for 12 hours. Strain out the herbs keep the liquid. Now you have to store it in the fridge. Drink 3 - 5 shots of this a day. This really works. Both of these are extremely antiseptic, it won't do much for the pain at first but it will start on the infection. Unfortunately, it takes about 3 days to see improvement. And it tastes like you're drinking a pine tree. Once when I used this my infection was completely cleared before I made it to the dentist.
If you happen to have plants on hand use 3 or 4 sprigs of rosemary and about 15 sage leaves.

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 09:12
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

@alexa

I hope you understand if I'm a bit skeptical of that. ;) But thanks for trying to help. To be honest, though, I've been prescribed an antibiotic since it's probably an infection and that should help clear it up a bit until I see a dentist. The doc also recommended I use an anti-septic mouthwash, which I was doing anyway. I also got some sensodyne, which helped make brushing itself less painful. I also have pain relievers, one of which is vicodin, which is really helping. Also, I don't have any of the constituent ingredients on hand anyway. At this point, I just want to keep the pain under control until I see a dentist Wednesday.

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 11:10
(0)

Hybrid

No problem. Too many crazy claims floating around out there. I've been growing and using them for about 20 years now; I do know the real remedies from the kook stuff. :) It is a a waste of time and effort if you're already on an antibiotic though. Either way I do hope you feel better; toothaches are horrible.

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 11:11
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

"Too many crazy claims floating around out there"

Check out the website I posted in this thread if you want some crazy claims. :D The guy basically takes the idea that diet affects dental health (which it undeniably does), and in his articles takes it to an incredibly stupid extreme to the point of denying just about any other factor in dental health, while mixing in other woo. It's probably a safe assumption that in the book he's selling it's more of the same.

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 11:32
(0)

CS Original

A couple nights ago I woke up at who knows what hour with a really bad toothache. I could isolate which tooth and everything. Since then, the pain's generally only gotten worse and is causing swelling under my eye, discomfort in my ear and other symptoms around my face. I don't see a dentist until Wednesday. It got so bad I went to an ER yesterday (no other choice, the community clinic couldn't help me), as over-the-counter meds weren't helping much and I wasn't going to bear that pain until Wednesday. The ER doc was actually glad to see me, though, as I probably have an infection or abscess, and I least got some prescription meds to control the pain more effectively until my dentist appointment.

This may sound dumb but did you try brushing and using mouth area for that area? Also sometimes food particle can get stuck in your gums and then actually inflame the whole gum area of the tooth my squeezing the area like a zit may help release the food particle and the swelling and as well as throbbing pain should go way way down.

Could be a cavity but then again it could be a lot of things. Does it hurt when you try to eat things or may hurts when you eat particular types of foods? Did you check your tooth to see if their is a cavity? If you feel like doing some investigation for yourself take a knife with a sharp pointed end and gently rub the area of your teeth you can get to. What you are doing is feeling for dibbits or drops in your teeth which would possibly indicate a cavity also if you do feel dibbits in your teeth rub the other side of your mouth with the knife but where the same type of tooth is to make sure it's just not something that could be biological.

Just remember if you have had a toothache in the past resulting from a cavity it may feel like your tooth is very hot type of throbbing pain. If you eat sweet things it may sting for a few seconds, it may hurt when anything though as well.

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 11:36
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

It's not just a cavity, as the pain feels like it's deeper into my gums, and the pain has been spreading and shifting around. It might be a gum infection. I have brushed, flossed, and used anti-septic mouthwash on the area. Also, zit like things on the gums are actually signs of infection and abscess. Either way, not something I want. Shortly after my ER visit and before I took any of the meds, I did suddenly have a weird nasty taste in my mouth. I suspect it could be some infected area draining or something. Whether it's good or not I don't know.

Either way, I don't know. I can only speculate and I'll find out on Wednesday. Until then, I just want to control this damn awful pain. The meds I've got and watching what I eat (soft foods requiring little to no chewing, and nothing too hot or cold) is working well enough for me to at least tolerate it.

But again, thanks for at least trying to help. :)

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 11:49
(0)

Hybrid

@ Wolf Bird - Your list of highlights was enough for me. The man is an idiot and I'm not sure if I'm more enraged or saddened by people like him. They've caused such a horrible divide. On one hand you have people rejecting modern medicine in favor of useless "natural remedies" while on the other you have people that reject all herbal remedies when some of them can be quite helpful for minor problems. I learned a long, long time ago to not waste my time looking up any of this online. I stick with my personal library, most of which was written by people with real letters after their names, like PhD and MD.

#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 11:49
(0)

CS Original

@Wolf Bird Sounds like a food particle has gotten stuck up in your gums are and therefore your gums are inflamed. What you may want to do if you feel up to it is take take two fingers and put them on the sides of your gums. What you want to do is with your fingers on both sides of the inflamed area of the gums is to press the area down and squeeze the inflamed area with your hands going up all the way to your teeth. This is a attempt to get the food particle out of your mouth or even to cross of the list that it isn't a food particle stuck within your gum area. After you do that you should use mouth wash and swish it around your mouth making sure to hit the inflamed area really good.

Or you could just wait to go to the dentist but it's not that big of a deal if you tried it out well it won't hurt anything.

#12 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 11:52
(0)

Hybrid

Also, I would agree with you. Between the swelling and the nasty taste, sounds like an infection. At least you have vicodin. ;)

#13 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 12:12
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

@2012 CT

Tried, nothing much happened except making it hurt more for a bit, even after I stopped applying pressure. I don't think it's just a food particle. And even if it is, that alone wouldn't produce such symptoms without bacteria making it this bad. It makes sense to me that it's an infection, and one way or the other, that infection needs cleared, whether by antibiotic or a root canal if it's gotten into the pulp of the teeth.

@alexa

Agreed. I do think some herbs have some effect for minor problems, especially for localized minor pain relief. My mom always kept aloe when I was a kid, and whenever I got burned, she would take a piece off the aloe plant, split it open and rub the gel on the burn. It certainly helped to relieve the irritation for a while. I think the beauty of modern medicine is that scientists can isolate whatever medicinal compounds are in any given herb and thus make it more effective so it's not so diluted (unless, of course, you're talking to a homeopath, lol). And they can synthesize it too, so fewer plants have to be killed or harmed for medicine. That said, I wouldn't take herbal remedies to try and cure cancer or some other nasty disease. I'll take an herbal remedy for minor pain if it's all I have, but I prefer the pharmaceuticals because they are generally more effective and longer lasting. I would also never ever trust anything from someone claiming to be practicing 'Chinese herbs', as those things can be so contaminated with who knows what (and ironically, apparently a lot of them get contaminated with real pharmaceuticals).

And right know, I love my vicodin.

#14 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 12:52
(0)

CS Original

@Wolf Bird okok lol

#15 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 12:54
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

Sorry if I came across defensive. Really, I am thankful you're at least trying to help. :) But at this point, I think I've got all I can do to get me through to the dentist appointment Wednesday.

#16 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 13:00
(0)

CS Original

^ If it was me I'd be picking the crap out of it.

Yeah a dentist would be your best bet. Do some google searches maybe someone else has dealt with this problem as well.

#17 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 13:07
(0)

Hybrid

Again, that's the problem with the above website and probably 99% of the others out there. They act like they're a cure all and they're not. Take my suggestion of the rosemary/sage blend. I've seen it knock out infections but that doesn't mean you cancel your dental appointment. Some things just help until you can get the right care. Others, like aloe, might be all the care you need. I wouldn't take an herbal remedy to cure cancer either but I might use one to help ease the side effects of chemo. I'm not against pharmaceuticals at all, (I have running scripts for percocet and oxycontin) but then again I'm not a naturopath or a homeopath either. I found homeopathic remedies to be some of the most frightening stuff I've ever read. Sadly, the simple home herbalist gets lost in all of that craziness. The difference there is that I don't claim to "practice" anything or treat people or charge for services. I've just learned a handful of good home remedies over the years that I share if I think it will help someone. I mainly grow my own, for both culinary and medicinal reasons and when I can't grow something I stick with a couple of trusted sources.
I consider tooth infections to be up there with kidney stones on the pain scale so I'm sure you're lovin that vicodin right now.

#18 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 13:11
(0)

Hybrid

Wolf Bird > Had to lol at that. I've had my share of tooth infections and I'd probably be typing in all caps right now.

#19 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 13:54
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

I am loving that vicodin. I probably try that herbal preparation you suggested. The vicodin is making me incredibly lazy and I don't have the constituent ingredients.

#20 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 18:22
(0)

Hybrid

Wolf Bird > It wouldn't do anything for the pain until it started to clear the infection which takes at least 3 days; up to 5. Since you have an antibiotic it might be a waste of time anyway.
Silly me just assumes everyone else has massive amounts of rosemary and sage lying about the kitchen.

#21 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 18:33
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

I actually meant I probably won't try it, as I don't have the ingredients and am lazy. but my previous post has a typo that I didn't notice until after I was unable to edit the post. It would probably be a waste of time in that case, anyway, as I have the antibiotic and my appointment is 3 days away.

Also, the vicodin combined with lidocaine topical is doing great to control the pain. It makes me sleepy and lightheaded and loopy, but the pain is sure tolerable.

#22 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 22:49
(0)

Hybrid

The important thing is that you have something that's helping. I've had more than my fair share of tooth infections and I've been cringing just thinking about it.
Occasional bouts of loopiness are okay.

#23 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 03, 2011 - 23:10
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

The pharmacist did say to expect loopiness, dizziness, lightheadedness and drowsiness from the vicodin. And also relieved pain. :D

#24 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 04, 2011 - 09:51
(0)

Hybrid

Fortunately painkillers don't do that to me. Or I'd never get anything done. The loopiness is natural. ;) Hope you're feeling better.

#25 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 04, 2011 - 11:37
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

Yeah, feeling somewhat better. The pain is under control. The vicodin side effects are pretty out there (I had extremely lucid dreams last night), and I lack the drive to do anything. I'm having a hard time dragging myself out of bed, but I'll take that over crippling pain. I just wish this didn't have to happen over the Fourth of July. Weather is beautiful and I wanted to take a bike ride, but in this state, I wouldn't trust myself on a bike.

#26 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Jul 04, 2011 - 12:48
(0)

CS Original

WITH QUANTUM HEALING YOU WOULD OF BEEN ABLE TO RIDE YOUR BIKE TODAY

#27 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 04, 2011 - 13:02
(0)

I shoot you dead.

CS Original

^lol. Maybe I should bike to one of the zillion reikists, chiropractors or acupuncturists in the area!

#28 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]