Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Why the Merola brothers are true pieces of shit

Tags: quackery, alternative medicine, health woo [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to The Zeitgeist Movement | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jul 07, 2011 - 21:42
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

Because they fill gullible peoples' heads with bullshit like this:

www.burzynskiclinic.com/ It has a number you can call for advice.

My Mum has cancer, and it is a very emotional film, but the facts are indisputable.

Antineoplasms work and chemo doesn't.

My mum was diagnosaed in 2004 and treated on chemo and radiotherapy, and we watched her hair fall out and her body be amputated. Thankfully, it had disappeared.

But in 2010 it came back.

She is now trying to get whatever treatment is available in the UK and I honestly think Burzynski's method will work.

Does that baking soda thing work as well? I'm skeptical, but I think the number on the site will help wonders.

http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=231&id=342998&Itemid=100114&lang=en#346059

I really wish they would both get hit by a bus. I have a special loathing for snake oil salesmen selling empty hopes. They're both shit.

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
freeflyerPosted: Jul 07, 2011 - 21:51
(0)

Level: 0

wow!

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
JimJesusPosted: Jul 07, 2011 - 21:59
(0)

Bacon Pancakes! Making Bacon Pancakes, take some Bacon and I'll put it in a Pancake! Bacon Pancakes that's what it's gonna make...Bacon Pancaaaaaake!! ♪

Level: 3

Empty hopes are fine believe all the garbage you want. The moment you start asking people to take empty hopes over viable cures for terminal illnesses is when I get angry.

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Vasper85Posted: Jul 08, 2011 - 01:17
(0)

Level: 1
CS Original

Diseases like cancer and AIDS seem to have the most woo around them because of the desperation most people feel when diagnosed. One guy was selling ozone machines to cancer patients on the premise that it would cure their cancer, of course it didn't work and people were bilked thousands of dollars (these machines were several grand each), CBC was trying to track the guy who was selling this stuff but he had shut his business down and wouldn't return any calls.

It's emotional blackmail.

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Vasper85Posted: Jul 08, 2011 - 01:36
(0)

Level: 1
CS Original

Here is something curious. I was reading one of the quack links that was posted on the forum and it mentioned that there are no determinable results that antineoplastons work after thousands of tests on patients, but people still come out and protest trials on behalf of Dr. Burzynski. When confronted with that, Dr. Timothy Gorski says "People who are dead do not get up and say, 'Burzynski did nothing for me.'"

This is curious because where are the families who survive the death of a loved one at the hands of this treatment? Why wouldn't they go and protest these trials on behalf of the FDA that is trying to secure a conviction over Burzynski? If it was my Dad, Mom, or child who died from the cancer because of lack of efficacy I would want justice. What is the reasoning for not taking a stand against Burzynski?

http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-01-01/news/cancer-doctor-stanislaw-burzynski-sees-himself-as-a-crusading-researcher-not-a-quack/3/

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 02:10
(0)

I can't stop posting pictures of poop, what the fuck is wrong with me?

Level: 5
CS Original

AHH HE'S A POLOCK!!!!!!

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 06:07
(0)

Brainwashing you for money

Level: 15
CS Original

This is curious because where are the families who survive the death of a loved one at the hands of this treatment? Why wouldn't they go and protest these trials on behalf of the FDA that is trying to secure a conviction over Burzynski? If it was my Dad, Mom, or child who died from the cancer because of lack of efficacy I would want justice. What is the reasoning for not taking a stand against Burzynski?

Probably because he is not being charged with murder/manslaughter or anything that requires him to defend himself against those charges or claims. He is probably only being charged with some kind of financial misdemeanour which wont require those kinds of witness testimonies.

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 06:41
(0)

I shoot you dead.

Level: 9
CS Original
#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 07:51
(0)

Hybrid

Level: 2

Sloan-Kettering on antineoplastons:
http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69121.cfm

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 08:46
(0)

CS Original

disclaimer starts off in the same way the freeman on the land legal websites start:

This Web site -- Information About Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products -- is for general health information only. This Web site is not to be used as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment of any health condition or problem. Users of this Web site should not rely on information provided on this Web site for their own health problems. Any questions regarding your own health should be addressed to your own physician or other healthcare provider.

So in other words what we say here is BS and unverified and not proven to work so if you take what we say seriously and act upon it its your own fault.

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 09:17
(0)

There ARE more sluts in public schools. Shut up and let me explain.

Level: 8
CS Original

Funny why don't real doctors have disclaimers like that?

#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 09:52
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

So in other words what we say here is BS and unverified and not proven to work so if you take what we say seriously and act upon it its your own fault.

Protection against being sued for quackery.

This thread still pisses me off.

#12 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 10:17
(0)

CS Original

hence the words disclaimer...but that doesnt stop you from being sued in the real world if what you are doing is illegal.

#13 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 10:20
(0)

Hybrid

Most medical websites, I mean ones by real doctors and/or medical centers have disclaimers like that. That's because they're for information only not medical advice or treatment. It would be very irresponsible of them to not have a disclaimer. Sloan-Kettering is one of the top cancer treatment centers.

#14 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 10:29
(0)

CS Original

All woo sites have them too, but woo sites think a disclaimer prevents them from being sued, in the same way pirates think having a disclaimer allows them to break the law.

Fucking retards

#15 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 10:30
(0)

Hybrid

oops, I missed one. That was the healthcare professional article. This one is for the consumer. I love the first line:

Bottom Line: There is no clear evidence to support the anticancer effects of antineoplastons in humans

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69121.cfm

#16 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 10:36
(0)

Hybrid

My point was this: a disclaimer doesn't mean the site is automatically full of BS. I'd say the actual source is way more important than their disclaimer.

#17 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 10:40
(0)

CS Original

Intention and integrity/legality are the bottom line.

#18 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 12:47
(0)

Level: 6
CS Original

Quackery is still a gold mine, I occasionally work with somebody who made a real shitty decision in the past and started to sell alternative medicine junk. Cost him medium six figures in court and I hope the same will happen to the rest of these people.

Taking advantage of the - sometimes terminally - ill is pretty much the most despicable way you can make money in modern society. Sue them until they have to massage Fresco to pay the bills; I don't have pity with somebody making the decision to get into something like that. There are more than enough warning signs along the way.

#19 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 12:54
(0)

There ARE more sluts in public schools. Shut up and let me explain.

Level: 8
CS Original

Do doctors have disclaimers saying they make no claims at all what they're telling you to do will work? I mean I know they have various forms for legal reasons, but not like the ones alt-med types do.

#20 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 13:28
(0)

CS Original

The only thing that comes close is the legal forms you sign pre op. These waiver rights for circumstances and assign rights to conduct operations, they dont say that the claims the doctors make of the procedures wont work. They generally say that they usually do work, but may not under extreme circumstances, quite different disclaimers.

#21 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 13:33
(0)

CS Original

No disclaimer needed here: http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/</p>

Why is that ?

Oh yeah because its scientifically approved and government backed and time proven.

Ah fuck there goes the neighbourhood.

#22 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jul 08, 2011 - 14:03
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

http://www.mayoclinic.org/about/</p>

No bullshit disclaimer there either.

#23 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 09, 2011 - 00:16
(0)

Hybrid

#24 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 09, 2011 - 06:43
(0)

CS Original

yeah good point alexa, but their disclaimers are not quite the same as the ones used by woo sites.

#25 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 09, 2011 - 07:41
(0)

Hybrid

Maybe I'm just a bit confused here anticultist. It looks like you saw that the Sloan-Kettering article was listed under an herb related sub-title and you immediately made a biased decision and pronounced it as woo or BS because it carried a disclaimer. Sloan-Kettering doesn't use or believe in alternative cancer treatments, calling them unproven, expensive, and unsafe. It's far from a woo site. All medical websites, real ones anyway, use wording similar to what S-K used. They have to, considering the amount of idiots out there. The site you posted has a symptom checker, web-md has one too. Can you imagine the amount of people that use these for self-diagnostics? They have to have a disclaimer. Medical websites are generally used for research and/or learning about a particular disease.
As far as woo sites, I don't spend much time looking at them so I have no idea what their disclaimers read like. I may casually look, out of interest, but then I usually hop over to one of the real medical websites to see what kind of research has been done. The Mayo Clinic, sometimes web-md, my favorite is Johns-Hopkins. In this case I just ran a search on this "cure" and the SK article was the first mainstream medical site that popped up.

#26 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 09, 2011 - 09:27
(0)

CS Original

I just didnt read the contents of the link past the beginning disclaimer at all alexa so I am mistaken if I thought it was woo, and since the threads about woo my point about woo sites and disclaimers is what I am interested in making.

I havent argued your site is a woo site after you made your point, just saying that woo sites do use that kind of shit as an excuse/scapegoat to say what they want.

#27 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Jul 09, 2011 - 14:48
(0)

Hybrid

Well then next time READ THE STORY FIRST! ;)

#28 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jul 09, 2011 - 14:54
(0)

CS Original

no

#29 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jul 09, 2011 - 15:55
(0)

Level: 10
CS Original

*sigh*

See the whole 911 CTs and Venus Project stuff are genenerally harmless, but its this medical nonsence like Burzynski's cancer cures and anti-vaxx stuff that really are dangerous.

#30 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]